So I headed off with low expectations of my ability after not really having swum since Nov 06 and great expectations of my enjoyment.
When I got to the change room, the familiar smells of stale towels, chlorine, cleaning agent and general wet stuff made me feel at home. Women of all shapes and sizes were getting dressed to either go lane swim or go home after water aerobics. I found a locker and quickly changed.
Walking out on to deck, I realized I did not know if I was still fast lane material and there were an equal number of swimmers in each lane. I chose the 2nd fastest lane and was prepared to move however it was required.
I put on my cap and slid into the water, its cool depth welcoming me home. Nervously I adjusted the goggles, took a breath, bent my knees and pushed of the wall in a stream line position. One easy dolphin kick was accompanied by a pain in my lower back, so switched to flutter kick and made my way to the top. I was swimming.
In the interest of my shoulders and back, I kicked most of the 800 meters I would swim, trying to engage my abs to do the required work, trying to find my balance point in the water. The first length I used my arms, it was as if I were a new born baby trying to figure out what the limbs were supposed to do and amazed they were attached to my body.
As the pool filled up, I was only vaguely aware of the other people, enough to avoid a collision, but not enough to be aware of what they were swimming, or not swimming. I was in the world of sound that exists with a cap over your ears and your head in a pool. Sounds exist, but with a muted musical quality.
Feeling the cool water move over my body as I propelled my way forward was a homecoming and I find myself longing for the next time I will be able to do it again.
1 comment:
Great post, Colleen!!!!
Post a Comment