Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday morning with the boys

Today I get to spend the most of the day with the boys on my own while Phil is out of town for a meeting.  

As I write this, the boys are napping, tired from a full 6 hour morning with Mom, well 7 hours really.  We went to the park down the street, played in the back yard, went for lunch at a local restaurant, stopped at a toy store to play with the train display and then played again in the backyard, mostly making bubbles this time.  During Alex's morning nap, Adam and I cuddled, watched Toopie and Beeno, and played trains.

Before I had the boys, I knew that it would not be all laughs, giggles and fun.  But this morning was and I enjoyed it.

There is a part of me that wonders why it is not this easy when both Phil and I are around on weekends.  I think it is because of just trying to maximize our boy's happiness, we are also trying to make sure our partner is having fun.  Sometimes it is because we are resenting that it seems to have to do all the work with the boys while the other gets to do adult activities.  

Don't get me wrong, it is not bad when Phil is here too, it is just different.  It would be cool if I could relax more when he was around, but in some ways I feel like I'm still trying to learn to be myself around him instead of trying to wonder what I could do to please him like you do when you are dating.  Goodness - we have been through labour twice and a miscarriage - he has seen me at my best and my worst and he still looks at me with love, but yet I still feel, I'm not sure of the word, new or replaceable.

Ok, I want to try and make use of my last hour of their nap to de-clutter the kitchen counter a little.

No comments: