Friday, May 1, 2009

Relentless

When people ask me what it is like being a parent, I struggle to find the words to express the totality of being parent since there are not enough words to cover it all.

This week, I thought of a new word to add to the description - relentless.

No matter how all encompassing your job may be, your hobbies may be, whatever, there is always the option of a sick day or a vacation day. With parenting, no matter how sick you may be or how much you may need a break - there are no sick days, no vacation days. (Well, I guess there are always options, but breaking up my family right now is not a viable option for me)

Everyone was sick this week and the needs of the boys were greater than ever. During the middle of the night when I so desperately wanted to sleep but was holding one of the boys, the word relentless popped into my head.

I will have to remember to use that word when my young nieces tell me they want to start families.

No comments: