Thursday, April 30, 2009

To My Mom

Thank you for teaching me how to be a Mom to my boys. 

They were both sick last night and today.  I spent many hours through the night holding one, or both, in dark bedrooms and bathrooms, listening to them struggle with breathing and swallowing.  I spent most of the night on Adam's bedroom floor, his fevered little hand clutching mine.

I thought of all the times in my life I have been sick, and even now, my Mom is there for me.  As a child, it was letting us sleep in their bed (poor Dad was kicked out), it was hours of being held, it was our favorite foods for meals, it was never having to say when I felt bad and needed a cuddle, it was her looking at me and knowing.  As we got older, it was having a bed made up on the couch and the treat of a new book to read, or a new activity book or a magazine.  Now as an adult it is being my Mom over the phone and giving me the the sympathy I want (but often don't need) for being sick but still having responsibilities that don't allow me to give in.  It is always provided in one simple phrase "oh my darling" said in a tone that allows me to feel her cool lips on my fevered forehead.

I know I have my issues with my Mom, but I love her more than words can express and now that I am a Mom, I am understanding on a deeper level the love she has for me and sacrifices she has made to do what she honestly believed was best for us in every situation.  

People can not be perfect but my Mom's love for her children is as close to perfection as anything I can think off.

1 comment:

Hollie said...

This is beautiful, and so true...all those things your Mom did for you when you were sick, I remember having done by my Mom. Poor Dad was always on the couch when we were sick. A touching post for your Mama. So sweet.