Thursday, March 12, 2009

Leaving this job

I have started the process to leave by talking to my boss this morning. I could not bring myself to tell her about the potential of working for Intellon, rather I told her about how my work/life balance is breaking me. Not a lie, but not the whole truth either. My work/life balance is breaking me and there have been many days when I feel like I just can't do it today.

I am hoping that working from home will help a little - I can prepare supper during my lunch break and do the odd load of laundry during the day. It also will save me some commute time. On the down side, it will upset my fragile routine of running and take away my friday afternoon grocery shop.

My boss suggested thinking about a 4 month leave of absence instead of quitting. It actually may be a good way to go. It would allow me to do the work for Rob through the summer and give me the option of coming back here if the contracting really does not work out or I can't find another job.

It does not look like I can work a deal to contract under Xtreme EDA, which is a bit of an issue for me and I suspect Claude. He does not support me doing the work if travel is a non-starter. While I understand his position, it is where I am at and Phil&I are willing to take the chance on this one contract.

I would love to talk to Doug and find out what potential there is with his group and determine what he work would actually be. I would also love to talk to Vecima and find out what they have going on.

But ultimately, I want to support Phil and his career change. I made the commitment and I want to stand by it. Returning to Xtreme with no travel restrictions would not be supporting him.

No comments: