I'm at work right now and am struck by how quiet it is in my office that I share with 4 other people. One would think that 3 project managers and a group manager would make some noise, but not here.
I have a number of questions out to people that are not getting answered. When I asked the questions early last week, there was time to incorporate their responses into useful work. Now there is not time. I have 3 hours today and 2 more days work left. It is impossible for me to move forward on the projects and now all I can do is try to leave good notes.
I've done PM jobs before in other places - a person is normally over taken by communications but not here. It is partially culture, it is partially structure. My role has separated the business analyst from the PM. But without a dedicated business analyst, the projects move so slowly that it is difficult to PM well, at least it is difficult for me to PM well.
In preparing my performance review notes, i did my own self assessment to try and improve. I need to network more with the managers, both in my group and outside my group. At least 2 days a week I should be meeting with someone just to find out what they are up to and to let them know what my projects are doing. I also need to manage the director better, find out where his boundaries are, not allow him to cut me, or other key people out. I need to commit to changing the culture to become one that is more inclusive and less exclusive.
It is amazing to me that days can go by at work and I don't talk to anyone - sigh.
Well, back to my document, one section left and then on to learning a new tool.
Broccoli and Cheddar-less soup!
9 years ago
1 comment:
Just wanted to say I heart your blog, Colleen :-) Thanks for the coffee-time today - I will miss you on campus :-(
Post a Comment