Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Working from Home and children

Well, Adam did get an eye infection. Saturday night his eye was red and watery so Sunday morning Phil took him to the doctor. Adam has been great about getting the drops in his eyes - it is only twice a day so it is not too much for him. But it did mean 48 hours where he could not go to childcare.

We debated the pros and cons of Phil taking time or asking my Mom to come up. In the end, we asked Mom and she came up on Sunday on the last bus. I do find it hard to concentrate with them upstairs all day. Every time Alex falls or Adam laughs, my mind starts to wander. I don't think I could be a WAHM with the children around.

I feel bad that I am not more gracious with my Mom, but some times her efforts to help create either more work for me or result in significant disruption to the household. She came up on short notice (2 hours) and spent all day with the children. But then after supper (which is a bit of a witching hour at the best of times), she started washing the dishes. She does not use a dishwasher at home, so instead of putting the pots and dishes in the dishwasher, she washed them. She wanted to be helpful, but the result was not enough dishes to run the dishwasher (only the breakfast and lunch dishes were in there) and now there are not enough bottles for today. It upset me because I have asked her repeatedly not to wash the dishes until I have had a chance to load the dishwasher first (I use to ask her not to wash the dishes, but I have come to realize that she likes doing it, so I have stopped asking). I tried to not be upset, because she was so great all day with the children and her heart was in the right place, but she knows me well enough to know when I am upset. Then she felt bad and tried to make it up to me, which made things worse because then I felt like a spoiled brat.

Really, I just want to be nice to my Mom cause she is wonderful and I love her. Family is so hard sometimes.

No comments: