Monday, April 27, 2009

Allergies or strep?

The allergy season is here - sigh. Every year my first allergy attack is the same, yet every year I seem to forget how bad it is. My head is a fog right now, the effects of the anti-histimines and I have had to take the day off work since my fatigue is so bad. I will likely work a bit, but not charge anytime.

My throat is tight and I spent a good deal of Saturday wondering if I had developed strep throat. That has become the way of my first allergy attack - a tightning of the throat. It scares me a little. I have had 2 experience of anaphlactic shock in response to allergy shots. I remember well how my throat felt and my inability to communicate what was happening to me.

Then there is the low grade fever where I just can't get warm enough. That came on Saturday evening. All day Sunday I felt torn between putting on a sweater and taking off my clothes. I had to nap on Sunday, I could not go on. Finally Sunday afternoon I went to the drugstore. I was still undecided if my throat was strep or allergies. But then I realized that when I would breath in through my nose, I could feel the air moving down my throat. Then someone walked by who had a strong perfume scent. Breathing in the perfume made my throat tighter immediately and I became more confident that allergies were the cause of my problem.

Today, I'm not sure again, is it Strep (hope not, don't want to expose the boys) or is it allergies (my throat is still tight after taking anti-histimines). I do know that I am sick today, can't think, still have fever chills and a vague all body sensation.

I know most people don't have allergy symptoms like this, but I have in the past. When I was stung by a wasp in 2006, I had a similar whole body reaction to the sting - it was like a sudden onset of a flu. That is how I felt yesterday and seem to feel today.

Ok, more anti-histimines and I will try to work a little.

No comments: