Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Morning Run

The thing I most love to do for me is workout in the morning. Since I'm away from home, I took advantage this AM and went for an early morning run through the streets of downtown Toronto.

The city was just starting to come alive while I was out. The quiet along the waterfront and the shape of the masts of the tallships slowly gave way to the noise of light traffic, the grey of the city concrete and the looming buildings that populate the city center. The lights in the office buildings allowed me to see the morning cleaning crews getting the spaces ready for a new day of work. Early morning office workers with their shoulders hunched against the wind made their way down the large, mostly empty sidewalks. The fresh smell of baking and coffee combined with the left over scents of cigar smoke. With every step, I felt the energy and the optimism of what the day could be start to build inside me.

Now from the window of my hotel, I can see the blue of harbour a few blocks from my hotel. The traffic is heavier now and soon I will get my coffee as I walk into the office to start working. But the feeling of energy and optimism will last for most of the day and that is why working out in the morning is my favorite me time activity.

No comments: