Today I stopped at an Irish Pub for supper. As is my normal custom, I found myself watching the crowd.
There were a lot of men in suits talking about the things you talk about - work, the economy, sports. Most looked like they were avoiding going home. Perhaps some had empty homes, perhaps some had families that were more than they could face.
There were a few tables of women. One was a party of some sort - gift bags, laughter, smiles. One was a table of young women who were likely doing the same thing the men were doing - avoiding going home. Replacing the quiet lonliness of a quiet home with the noisy Irish pub.
There were a few couples. Some were meeting after work to have supper before going home. Some were on vacation or days off having a supper after a long day of shopping and/or sight seeings. Then there was the one that made me wonder if they were having affair. He had a wedding band, she did not. There was much laughter and smiles. It was when he answered his cell that I started to wonder. She got quiet and her whole face and body language changed. While she did not move from her chair, she was suddenly a stranger sinking into the crowd, as if not wanting people to see them together. Then he hung up and they each took a drink, followed by her placing a hand on his arm. They decided they had time for another drink and became the couple that I saw when i first spotted them, laughing and smiling. I hope they were nothing more than old friends or family or coworkers having a drink, but it was her disappearing during the phone call leaves me with sad doubt.
Broccoli and Cheddar-less soup!
9 years ago
1 comment:
What an interesting post. When I considered going further in Psychology I wanted to research the "first date" in couples. You can usually spot it out at restaurants. I LOVE people watching. Sad that what you probably witnessed was an affair. They are more common then we realize. I only hope that guy doesn't have kids.
Post a Comment